Support to Course/Research Needs
GIS Lab helps faculty and students using geospatial data, geospatial analysis, maps and geospatial technology in their teaching, learning and research.
The Lab creates instructional and exercise materials tailored to faculty specifications. The GIS Specialist delivers the instructions in classrooms upon request. The Specialist or the lab assistant also assist in leading the exercise activities.
CartographyThe GIS Lab creates maps in support of faculty publications and academic program/administrative office functions. Click a map image to see the full-size map.
In addition to helping users using ArcGIS software and Trimble GNSS handheld for specific tasks, the GIS Lab helps users with big picture questions regarding data needs, workflow, data/map sharing, and software/tool options. For example:
- I want to do these things in my project, can they be done with GIS? How? What kind of data do I need?
- What GIS exercise can be developed for my course?
- How can I share my map or GIS data with my colleagues/classmates?
- How can I collect field measurements or questionnaire survey data in GIS-ready format?
- I want to learn GIS, where can I find learning resources?
- What are the schools with graduate programs in GIS?
You are encouraged to contact the GIS Specialist for consultation service. The student assistants may be your first contact if you are seeking help for specific software/hardware tools or datasets. Find our contact information here.
Data and Apps
The GIS Lab creates and maintains campus GIS data and apps to support campus based teaching and research activities as well as administrative tasks.
The Lab also creates GIS data in support of faculty research or student course projects up on request.